Monday, December 18, 2006

To Forgive or Not to Forgive


To forgive or not to forgive, that is the question.
Whether it is easier to dwell upon an offense,
And grow hurt into anger and bitterness.


Or forgive the offender,
Whether repentant of their deed,
Or cold hearted and unresponsive.


To focus on the pain,
Feed a gloomy countenance,
That looms like a thundercloud overhead.


Or obey my heavenly Father’s command,
To forgive my fellow man,
That I too might be forgiven.


To believe the lies of the enemy,
Be controlled by that, which is temporary,
Fail to recognize that this too shall pass.


Or trust Jesus Christ my Savior,
Think upon that which is true, lovely and pure.
Seek that which is praiseworthy and of eternal value.



by Susan Bunts – December 18, 2006


This year has been not only a year of clarity…but one with many lessons in forgiveness.


I’m a pretty straight shooter in life…and when confronted with something that’s not right…I will likely speak my mind in a very direct manner. Not leave a lot of wiggle room. If I don’t speak my mind…then I hold onto that which bothered me and I can’t even look the person in the eye and I loose respect.


I don’t know quite what to do when I get no response. It’s hard…I’d prefer a response of “Go pound sand!” than to be ignored.


But when I’m met with silence…I have a choice. God calls me to forgive. That forgiveness should not be dependent on someone acknowledging an offense, apologizing or choosing to ignore me. If let my reaction and choice to forgive be dependent upon them…then I’m held hostage.


Instead my Father in heaven…has made it abundantly clear that I need to walk in present, everyday forgiveness. It is only by His strength and wisdom I can do that which goes against my nature…forgive.


Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.” – Matthew 18:21-22

No comments: