Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Invisible


I am the nameless, faceless one

You seek to avoid



You see me coming down the street

And look down or walk the other way



Sometimes I mutter to myself

For there is no one else to listen or who cares



When I stand behind you in the checkout line

You hold your breath



It’s been…I don’t know how long

Since I’ve had a warm shower or put on clean clothes




Of course I know I stink

Thankfully after a while I became immune to the smell



Shame should be my name

Would it be better if I had never been born



My family doesn’t even know

If I’m dead or alive



There’s no means to contact me

No phone to pick up or place to drop by



Would they even recognize me

If they passed me on the street



Society thought they did good

In giving me the right to choose



Take my medication

Or be locked up for my own good



Do tell…how can someone not in their right mind

Make a rational decision



Even though you pass me by

With nary a look or a smile sent my way



No matter how hard you try to pretend I’m not…

I am here



By Susan Bunts

September 17, 2008

No comments: