Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When Fear Grips My Heart


I turn on the news
Only to hear the reporter inform
The economy continues to spiral downward…out of control

Fear grips my heart

I pick up the phone
Listen to more bad news
Another friend lost their job today

With a lump in my throat I whisper, “I’ll pray”

I open the prayer email
I scan the requests only to find
Another family is facing foreclosure

I fall on my knees and cry out, “Oh Lord…”

All around me the rumors fly
Then we get word
A mandatory meeting…“Be there at 3:00 pm sharp!”

My heart is beating a little faster and my hands start to sweat

Then the Holy Spirit reminds me
Take every thought captive
Meditate upon the goodness and faithfulness of God

Never have the righteous been forsaken

With each bad report
May I be moved with compassion
Fall on my face before my sovereign Lord and King

Not even a sparrow falls without it escaping the Father’s notice

May I count it a privilege
To come before God’s throne in prayer
As I lift up my family, friends and strangers from afar

Cast all your anxiety upon the Lord, for He cares for you

May I delight
Not in possessions
But in the Lord Jesus Christ

May I praise You in the morning and evening…all throughout the day

May I find security
In God alone
When the phone call comes and my hand trembles

May I find peace in the presence of my Master

Susan Bunts Wachtel
June 24, 2009

No comments: