Monday, January 18, 2010

The Gift of Discouragement




Oh lowest and most evil one
I have a delicious, delectable bad report
Of inroads made into the hearts and minds the enemy’s saints
 
God gives the gift of, dare I say, encouragement
But I’ve been able to successfully supplant it
With the gift of discouragement
 
Aided by pride and feelings of self righteousness
The unsuspecting saint didn’t have a clue
Of the exchange made while sitting in the church pew
 
The overflow of their heart
Spewed forth criticism and condemnation
Aimed squarely at a fellow believer
 
Unaware of the opportunity God presented
To pray for, encourage, and build up one another
I was able to come alongside and whisper in their ear
 
Out of their mouth came words I effectively used
To tear down, discourage and cause division
With one they call brother in Christ
 
As they sat in church
Feelings of superiority took hold
While they focused on the faults and failures of another
 
All the while
I was able to distract the one who was hurt
With hurt feelings, anger and un-forgiveness
 
The real victory was won
When I distracted both from hearing the pastor’s message
The Word of God was falling on deaf ears and distracted minds
 
I predict continued success
So long as they fail to take every thought captive
Or resist offering forgiveness for an offense
 
I dare say we may take even more of the enemy’s ground
If we can light a fire and watch it spread throughout the congregation
Fueled by pride and self-righteousness
 

Susan Bunts Wachtel
January 18, 2010
 

No comments: