Saturday, June 15, 2013

Five Minute Friday – Whom will I listen to?



Just coming back from vacation and listening to the world’s messages on television, I’m struck by the contrast to the Word of God and Christ’s message to the church.

The world’s messages:
·        Entitlement
·        I deserve this
·        Dissatisfied with what I have
·        Always wanting more
·        It’s all about me
·        If it feels good, do it
·        Elevate myself
·        It’s important that people feel good about themselves
·        Approval of everyone’s choices and lifestyle, except the narrow minded, bigoted, rightwing conservative Christians who think they know right from wrong.
·        Everyone goes to heaven except for a few people who were really evil, like Hitler. 
·        Get even when I have been wronged
·        All paths lead to God or heaven


Christ’s Messages to His followers
·        Die to self, pick up your cross daily and follow Me.
·        Forgive those who hurt you, persecute and despitefully use you.
·        Trust God, in good times and bad
·        Thy will be done
·        Glorify God
·        Be sanctified, set apart, dedicated unto the Lord
·        Be thankful always
·        Trust that God is doing a good and perfect work, even in your affliction and pain
·        Do good, even to your enemies
·        When I am weak, then I am strong
·        Guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus
·        Choose to meditate on that which is true, just, noble, pure, lovely and of good report
·        Repent, godly sorrow leads to repentance
·        What I deserve is hell for I have sinned against a holy, righteous and just God.
·        What I have received is mercy and the grace of God.
·        There is an objective standard of right and wrong which God has revealed in the inerrant Word of God, the Bible
·        That which God has declared sin, is sin
·        There is One Way to salvation, through Jesus Christ.  Those who confess with their mouth, believe with their heart that Jesus Christ is Lord will be saved.

Lord, help me to listen to Your Word and tune out the world’s messages.  Holy Spirit, guide me and help me to understand, apply and practice the truth revealed in Your word.  Please put a guard around me, may I put on the full armor of God each day. 

It’s another Saturday morn and I wanted to participate in Lisa-Jo Baker’s FiveMinute Friday writing challenge.  Head over to her website “Lisa Jo Baker Tales from a Gypsy Mama”.  Be sure to read some of the entries from other writers.  I can promise you that you will be blessed.


No comments: