Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Hard Thing




It’s harder to forgive
Than to hold on to a hurt

It’s harder to pray
Than to whine and complain

It’s harder to bring everything by prayer and petition to God
Than to go to a friend and gossip or lament

It’s harder to give thanks in difficult circumstances or in pain
Than it is to grumble and complain

It’s harder to restrain my mouth and just plain shut up
Than it is to freely speak my mind

It’s not just harder
It’s impossible to take back a word spoken in anger

It’s harder to be disciplined and make time to study God’s word
Than it is to waste time on worthless things

It’s harder to make time for family and friends
Than to let my time be driven by pressing but inconsequential things

It’s harder to take every thought captive
Than it is to let my imagination and thoughts go wild

It’s hard to do what is right before God
When I’m feeding my mind and heart with the things of this world

Oh Lord, may I choose to do the hard thing
Not by might, but by Your Spirit

May I remember when I am weak
Then I am strong in Christ


By Susan Bunts Wachtel
December 2, 2009

No comments: